LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL TO FULL-LOCK… AN AUBURN GEAR EXCLUSIVE.
This Select-A-Loc® model locks the axle shafts to the diff housing to transfer torque directly from the case, not through the gears.
This electronically-actuated differential operates as a limited slip differential until placed in full-lock mode. Select-A-Loc’s exclusive design promises exceptional traction for power sport enthusiasts and anyone driving in extreme conditions.
Select-A-Loc® offers many advantages over OEM differentials and other specialty differential brands:
- Gearing is made from heat-treated hardened steel…tough, durable, and reliable in the most extreme conditions
- Heavy-duty construction and high-strength case material allow safe instant engagement while under full load (at low speed, below 5 mph).
- Can be used in front axle applications, with or without lockout hubs.
- Lightning fast engagement and disengagement.
- Select-A-Loc® is virtually silent when used with recommended lubricants.
- Easy installation, no air compressor or hoses required; saves space and has less moving parts.
- Backed with a 1 Year Warranty PLUS an Additional one-year warranty when used with Auburn Gear Differential Oil (see below).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Select-A-Loc® is NOT recommended for use with front axles that feature an “inter-axle disconnect.”
How it Works… Select-A-Loc® Limited Slip to Lock
Click/hover on number below for more information
Pilot cone (1)
Bearing Balls (2)
Side gear (3)
Center block (4)
Center pin (5)
Side gear (6)
Clutch pack (7)
Electromagnetic coil (8)
Ball bearing (9)
Differential case (10)
When OFF, the clutch pack (7), located behind the side gear (6), activates the limited-slip mode. As torque increases, the separating forces within the differential gears increase, causing the clutch pack to be compressed, in turn providing bias torque to the high traction wheel.
When the switch is turned ON to activate the locking mode, current is sent to the electromagnetic coil (8). The coil is retained by a clip that fits over one of the bearing cap bolts, making it non-rotational.
The coil rides on a ball bearing (9), and the ball bearings spin with the differential case (10). The coil creates a magnetic flux so that the pilot cone (1) is pulled into engagement with the differential case (10). This frictional engagement causes the bearing balls (2) to ride up on a ramp machined into the side gear (3). This radial travel of the balls (2) also causes lateral movement of the side gear (3).
The side gear lateral movement (3) applies a force onto the center block (4). The center block has an elongated hole that the center pin (5) fits through, allowing it to float. The center block also applies force to the opposite side gear (6) to compress the clutch pack (7) and provides the vehicle with a solid axle assembly that transfers 100% of the torque to both wheels, delivering maximum traction. NOTE: The side gear (3) is not included in the Master Install Kit. However, the pinion gears (*) are included.
The Select-A-Loc® easily activates the locker mode by simply turning on the switch mounted inside the vehicle cab. When turned off, the differential works as a regular limited slip differential, responding automatically when torque is applied.
Select-A-Loc® is very much built for the street, providing smooth, quiet operation. In fact, Auburn Gear differentials were used as original equipment in the first muscle cars. Plus, they are aggressive enough to be used in other performance applications. However, when the Select-A-Loc® is in full-locker mode, you may experience some under or push steering.
Hardened Gear Material Minimizes Wear High strength hardened steel is used for all of the gears in all Select-A-Loc® applications. This material minimizes wear, adding long-lasting durability to moving parts and increases driver confidence in extreme conditions.
IMPORTANT – Auburn differentials are built with strength and durability in mind. We do not reduce material to achieve weight savings that compromise strength. Auburn differentials are specifically designed to provide confidence to enthusiasts who are upgrading their vehicles to put more power through the driveline and more torque through the axles.
What’s in the box!
Inside your Select-A-Loc® box are a number of important items:
- Select-a-Loc® Installation Manual. This detailed, illustrated manual walks you through the stages of installation, plus maintenance recommendations and operation instructions for safe and safe operation and disengagement.
- Auburn Gear Limited-Slip Additive. A 6 oz. bottle is included to help achieve maximum performance from your differential. The Select-A-Loc® Electronic Locking Differential designs have been extensively tested with high-quality Non-Synthetic 80W 90 hypoid oils treated with limited-slip friction additive.*
- Select-A-Loc® Decals. Two high-tack, long life decals are included to help show your pride in driving with an advanced American Made diff. Great for bumpers, tool boxes and more.
- And of course, your new Auburn Gear electronic locker … the Select-A-Loc®.
*We do not recommend synthetic oil.
AUBURN GEAR HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR OIL
Get maximum performance for all Auburn Gear differentials and other applications with our High Performance Diff Oil.